New! Large 3D Scallop Shell
Use our new 2 part mould to create a wonderfully realistic Large 3D Scallop Shell. The main mould makes the body of the shell, and the inner impression mat turns your shell into an authentic 3D showstopper!
These have been sculpted to replicate the authentic contours, patterns and natural flaws Mother Nature created.
*To complete the look, we have put together a bundle deal at a special offer price for our New! Large 3D Scallop Shell and Half Sphere Multi Mould, used to make the beautiful sugar pearl shown in the photos. Details for the Half Sphere Multi Mould are found here: https://www.theoldpipingbag.co.uk/product/half-sphere-multi-mould-and-edible-transfers/
Here are two methods for using the New! Large 3D Scallop Shell
- Roll some strong paste and press into the main shell (outer impression) following the contours of the mould, e.g., do not completely fill the cavity of the mould to a flat top.
- Remove from the mould and shape to your own requirements by leaving the main piece to dry over a former (an upturned bowl or kitchen paper works very well).
- Roll some paste and place onto the inner impression mould and press to pick up the details.
- Dampen your dried and shaped outer shell with some water and place the inner impression on top, ensuring the contours of both pieces match.
- Simply remove excess paste around the edge of the shell and blend as required. Remember that scallop shells are not perfectly smooth around the edges, and some rough edges add to the authenticity of the finished piece.
Our 3D Knobbly Starfish is moulded using the same principle. A video to guide you is here: https://www.theoldpipingbag.co.uk/how-to-video-3d-knobbly-starfish/
- Roll some strong paste, (thicker than with Method 1), and press into the main shell (outer impression), following the contours of the mould.
- Place the inner impression mould inside and on top of the outer mould and press the two moulds together.
- Remove the moulds and tidy up the edge of the shell as required.
- Leave to dry over a former.
Dust lightly in colours of your choice to highlight the incredible detail and bring your NEW! Large 3D Scallop Shell to life!
Use the Half Sphere Multi Mould to make a beautiful translucent sugar pearl to add a finishing touch.
Here’s how we made ours:
- Melt some isomalt and add some edible pearl dust.
- Fill two of the same sized cavities in the mould.
- While still hot, heat a small metal spatula and level the isomalt in the cavities. Leave to set
- Pop out of the mould and transfer to a heatproof mat
- Gently blow over the base of one of the halves with a brulee torch and stick the two halves together (edible glue is a good alternative)
- Gently blow over your completed ‘pearl’ with a brulee torch and make it shine
- Seal with edible glaze
Alternatively, mould two halves from a strong paste, stick them together and dust.
*Excludes trade sales